One Fan's UCLA Basketball Blog
News, analysis, and commentary about the UCLA Bruins basketball program
Thursday, June 30, 2005
 
USA Today with a brief article on John Wooden
The article is supposed to serve as a review of Coach Wooden's latest book, but it has plenty of other information about Wooden and his life. I especially like this anecdote:
As a young coach, Wooden recalls being blasted with a string of expletives by a rival coach he had just beaten.

"He called me every name you could think of right there in front of players, fans and officials," Wooden said.

"He even suggested that I had bribed the referees to get good calls. I immediately saw red and, without thinking, knocked him down to the court as players and fans rushed in to stop us."
Sorry, I know it's wrong, but the thought of Coach Wooden beating someone down makes me smile. :) I mean, I'm sure Coach was a lot more emotional when he was younger, but how much of a jerk do you have to be to make John Wooden kick your @ss?

A related item: for all of the readers of this blog who will be in Kalamazoo, Michigan on August 22 (all 0 of you, most likely), Coach Wooden will be speaking at Western Michigan University (ignore the title of the article).
Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Post a Comment

Fresno CA Direct TV can get you all the UCLA basketball games you want

Powered by Blogger