One Fan's UCLA Basketball Blog
News, analysis, and commentary about the UCLA Bruins basketball program
Saturday, June 18, 2005
 
Matt McKinney to retire for medical reasons
Due to all of the health issues he has faced, McKinney will be taking medical retirement from the UCLA basketball and volleyball teams. He will remain enrolled in school and continue to receive his scholarship, although he no longer will count toward the 13 total scholarships available for the basketball team (this means we now have another ride to give out over the next two years). Here is his statement from the UCLA release:
"First of all, I'd like to thank both the UCLA basketball and volleyball coaching staffs, along with the UCLA medical staff, especially Dr. John Difiori, for all their support throughout the season and my career," said McKinney, who prepped at Santa Ynez HS. "It's been a very tough year for me going through so many different medical problems and having to fight through them. I've come to a decision, with my doctors and parents, to declare for medical retirement. That is the best decision for me, to seek additional medical advice and get healthier. It's been an honor and a privilege to be able to wear the UCLA jersey during my Bruin career. It's something I will never forget."
I can only imagine how frustrated McKinney has been, trying to perform while not being physically right. On top of that, I'm guessing he had to deal with a lot of anxiety this past b-ball season when the medical staff could not figure out why he was experiencing such unusual fatigue. I'm going to sound a little old saying this, but you have nothing without your health. If McKinney still is struggling with medical problems, then getting healthy indeed should be his number one priority. I certainly wish him the best.
Comments: Post a Comment

Fresno CA Direct TV can get you all the UCLA basketball games you want

Powered by Blogger