One Fan's UCLA Basketball Blog
News, analysis, and commentary about the UCLA Bruins basketball program
Thursday, April 14, 2005
 
Martell Webster to the NBA a done deal?
Gregg Doyel seems to think so. On the second page of Doyel's article, you will see this quote from Webster, the highly touted high school senior who would play for Washington if he goes to college:
Apparently my (NBA) stock is going well right now. I've got a pretty good chance of going early first round, top 10 right now. You hear all kinds of things...If it's legit, you can pretty much say I'm going to go.
If the Huskies lose Webster, it will obviously be a loss for them and a gain for the rest of the conference, including the Bruins.

And with all of the guys declaring for the draft but not hiring agents, it clearly has been nearly impossible to provide accurate looks at next year's top college teams, because it is unknown who will be back and who won't. But won't it also make it nearly impossible for the would-be draftees to get accurate pictures of where they are going to be drafted? I mean, the more people who stay in the draft, the more competition there is to be drafted early. So if a bunch of guys are submitting their names just to see where they might be drafted, they won't really know until everyone else in the same situation makes their decision, which sounds like a real messy situation to me.
Comments:
What they have to think is "if everyone who has put their name in stays in the draft, where do I go?" Obviously, if a bunch of those guys pull out, your stock improves. But then again, if you need 10 guys to pull out of the draft to make you a first rounder, chances are you're pulling out as well.

I still think it's pretty easy to tell which road most guys are going to travel. Does anyone really think Torin Francis is really going pro? Does anyone really think Deron Williams is really going back to Illinois (as much as I'd love for him to)?

I think it's Heissler that does it in the Times every year, but he'd do a column on the draft order based on EVERYONE declaring, whether they were likely to or not. I think that's how some of these mid level guys have to approach it. The problem becomes who they listen to. I'd bet that a week before the draft, if you compiled a list from all of the different interviews and news reports, you'd have 25 guys who said that they were told they would be top ten picks. And further, I'd bet that ultimately only 8 of the top 10 would come from that list.

Keep in mind, too, that some of these kids just don't want to be in school. I've always figured that was the case with Ariza. He just didn't want to be in college, and it didn't matter if he was drafted or not. I love seeing UCLA guys doing well in the pros, but I just can't get excited about Ariza.
 
Post a Comment

Fresno CA Direct TV can get you all the UCLA basketball games you want

Powered by Blogger